1. The 2021 “Dr. Raúl Prebisch” Economic Research Annual Award organized by the BCRA will have three categories:
a. Annual Award for University Students
b. Annual Award for Young Professionals
c. Annual Award for PhD Thesis in Economics
2. Applicants under the “University Students” and “Young Professionals” categories are required to submit papers on topics dealing with theoretical or empirical central banking—such as monetary, banking, exchange and/or financial issues—at local or international level. In the “PhD Thesis” category, priority will be given to papers whose novel topics—of either local or international, theoretical or empirical concern—are relevant and pertinent to the objectives of the BCRA.
3. The participating categories are:
4. (a) “University Students” shall comprise undergraduate students of Economics and related studies from universities in Argentina. They are required to submit a certificate proving that they are regular students as of December 31, 2020. (b) “Young Professionals” shall comprise graduates of Economics and related studies from universities in Argentina, who obtained their degrees after December 31, 2015. (c) “PhD Thesis in Economics” shall comprise graduates from Argentine universities, whose theses were passed in 2020 and 2021.
5. In the categories (a) “University Students” and (b) “Young Professionals”, each applicant may submit one authored paper and one co-authored—if so, the co-author shall belong to the same category as the author, and meet the requirements as set forth in these Terms and Conditions. An applicant who submits an authored paper may only participate as a co-author in one paper.
6. Neither the BCRA´s staff nor their relatives up to the first degree of consanguinity and up to the second degree of affinity can participate in the contest.
7. Award winners from previous editions are not eligible to take part in the contest. Notwithstanding the foregoing, award winners may participate in other categories, provided that they comply with the relevant requirements.
8. Paper shall be received through July 31, 2021. The awarded papers will be timely announced. The BCRA will post the date and awarding method between September and October 2021.
9. Applicants shall complete a registration form and send the papers through the BCRA’s website: www.bcra.gob.ar, at “Institucional”, “Actividad Académica”: “Premio Anual de Investigación Económica”, following the instructions contained in the page. Papers will be submitted under a pseudonym, giving no identifiable data either directly or indirectly. This restriction does not apply to the “PhD Thesis” category
10. An online registration form shall be completed with the author´s personal data (full name, National Identity Document (DNI) number, address, date and place of birth, telephone number, e-mail address, pseudonym, and award category, etc.) The form shall include an affidavit, whereby signatories state that they are expressly responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the documents submitted; accept these Terms and Conditions; and state the pseudonym used.
11. In the “University Students” category, applicants shall submit the following documents online: DNI (or ID as a naturalized Argentine citizen), and an updated regular student certificate issued within two weeks before the date of registration. In the “Young Professionals” category, applicants shall submit a copy of their DNI (or ID as a naturalized Argentine citizen), and of their university degree (or certificate of pending degree). In both categories, applicants shall further upload a copy of their transcript (photo or image file).
12. The BCRA may request, in advance, that applicants submit any supplementing or clarifying documents in support of the compliance with the requirements of the relevant category.
13. The members of the jury will only receive papers under a pseudonym.
14. Papers shall have a maximum length of thirty-five pages, including charts and references, in A4 paper size. They shall be written in 12-point Times New Roman o Arial font, with 1.5 line spacing and margins of at least 2.5 cm.
15. Papers shall be submitted under the author´s pseudonym, making no reference to the author´s name, or acknowledgement to any identifiable person, either directly or indirectly. An applicant shall use different pseudonyms when submitting authored and co-authored papers as well.
16. Applicants shall submit novel and unpublished papers (without ISSN), including undergraduate theses that have not been edited for commercial purposes. Papers may be written in Spanish or English.
17. Applicants shall complete a registration form and send the papers through the BCRA´s website: “Institucional”, “Actividad Académica: “Premio Anual de Investigación Económica”, following the instructions contained in the page.
18. Applicants shall fill in the registration form with their personal data (full name, DNI number, address, date and place of birth, telephone number, e-mail address, pseudonym, and category, etc.) The form shall include an affidavit, whereby signatories state that they are expressly responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the documents submitted; accept these Terms and Conditions; and state the pseudonym used. Applicants shall upload any necessary documents (a photo or image file) in support of the thesis that has been approved.
19. The BCRA may request, in advance, that applicants submit any supplementing or clarifying documents in support of the compliance with the requirements of the relevant category.
20. In the “PhD Thesis in Economics” category, priority will be given to papers whose topics are relevant to the BCRA.
21. The jury will be composed of, at least, three members. They are appointed by the BCRA’s President at the proposal of the Economic Research Deputy General Manager—among the BCRA’s staff, regardless of their seniority, and distinguished academic guests.
22. The jury´s decisions are adopted by a plurality of votes—which are recorded and signed by all the members present— and cannot be challenged. Non-pecuniary honorable distinctions may also be awarded.
The following amounts will be awarded:
a. Annual Award for University Students
First prize: ARS100,000.
Second prize: ARS70,000.
b. Annual Award for Young Professionals
First prize: ARS200,000.
Second prize: ARS120,000.
c. Annual Award for PhD Thesis in Economics.
24. In the case of a tie, the prize will be divided in equal parts.
25. Where awarded papers are co-authored, the prize will be shared in equal parts.
26. Moreover, the jury may declare an award vacant, if deemed appropriate.
27. The BCRA, as organizer, may request the authors to make a presentation, explaining the core ideas of the awarded paper and answering questions from the attendees.
28. The awarded papers will be posted on the BCRA´s website and eventually considered for publication in the Ensayos Económicos (Economic Essays) journal.
29. The BCRA may publish, if so recommended by the jury, any unawarded papers. In such case, it should be made clear that the paper has been selected for publication.
30. In each category, the jury may give a Special Mention to papers that have not obtained any of the monetary awards mentioned in section 23.
31.For information on the contest write to email@example.com or call (011) 4348-3618.
32. The Award’s Terms and Conditions, and the authors´ names of the awarded papers will be posted on the BCRA´s website.
33. The submission of papers implies the participants´ acceptance of all the conditions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. Any dispute falling outside these Terms and Conditions are settled by the jury, and cannot be challenged.
All terms for submitting documents as under these Terms and Conditions, or complying with any other requirement are meant to be business days, unless it is expressly stated otherwise.